Monday, August 2, 2010

Jewish Politics and Social Calendars

This past week I attended the Saban AIPAC Conference. It was held here in DC at the Grand Hyatt. This was not connected with my internship but instead my Legislative Director position back at KU. AIPAC is America’s Pro-Israel Lobbying group.

I first was introduced to the American Israel Public Affairs Committee last winter when I attended a Kansas City meeting of the organization with other leaders in Student Senate. The current Chief of Staff for KU Senate is the Liaison with AIPAC and does an excellent job in ensuring that leaders at our University are informed on the issues and attend important conferences to represent KU.

There were six members of the Executive officers from KU. They got into DC on Sunday and stayed through Wednesday. It was great to spend time with all of them and to focus on international issues that are extremely important. Between seminars and sessions we walked the National Mall and other attractions. We were able to get away for an evening and met a graduated Senate friend that now works in DC. We all went to the Capitol Grill, one of DC’s finest and oldest restaurants. Extravagant! Being around and working with my fellow student leaders reminded me of how excited I am for the upcoming year at KU and to enjoy my last year in Lawrence.

After my Kansas friends and co-workers headed home, I headed back to the office. I am working to tie up loose ends and finish projects as my internship draws to a close. I have filled my schedule in order to squeeze every last drop of excitement I can from this experience. Thursday is my last day at the office that has been my home for the summer. The time has flown by but the experiences are one’s I will never forget.

The social scene has been as extraordinary as the internship. This weekend I went to the opening of an art gallery with a well connected DC friend that I met at a lobbyist luncheon. He invited me to tour the gallery and sip champagne with him as we discussed a variety of issues. After we went to eat at a locally owned gay restaurant and bar. He introduced me to the owners and had a fabulous time.

Saturday I attended a surprise birthday celebration for a friend at the State Department who I met through my friend at Georgetown. The party was on a rooftop that overlooked DC’s up and coming neighborhood. There were several people there to celebrate and we all dined on fresh shrimp and New England Crab. Crab cracking parties aren’t an everyday event in Kansas, especially ones on rooftops with the nation’s capitol skyline surrounding you. Unforgettable!

Last night I attended a bbq in Virginia for area KU alumni, current students, and upcoming freshmen. I remember 4 years ago going to this same event in Salina and thinking how amazing KU alumni were, but now I truly know the network of Jayhawks and the significant connects that exist from simply graduating from the University of Kansas. The evening was beautiful and the hosts were very welcoming. I was fortunate enough to attend with a friend and KU grad. to the bbq. We networked and ate and drank the night away.

I look forward to my last couple of days and know that I will miss DC and the people I’ve met here but I will return soon. I will be in Las Vegas in four days with some of the most amazing fabulous people I know! That part makes leaving a little easier. This week still holds excitement, with working to help elect Congressman Moran to Senator Moran, my birthday, a going away party, and a variety of other events to end this remarkable experience on the right note.

Lesson Learned: Keeping one’s social calendar full is just as important, and sometimes more, as keeping a professional calendar booked.

1 comment:

  1. Does Senator Moran support ANY LGBT equal rights legislation? Any at all. In any form? Just a little curious here. Enlighten us with a blog post that justifies the folks you support over the rights of the posh friends you hang around with.

    ReplyDelete