Wednesday, August 11, 2010

DC: So long but not Goodbye

Last week I concluded my internship with Log Cabin Republicans and my summer in DC. It was the best summer of my life, full of opportunities and exceptional experiences. What a great week to finish on as well. The Perry v. Schwarzenegger, more commonly know as the Prop. 8 trail, case was concluded. The decision from a conservative judge was in favor of equality and overturned the decision barring gays and lesbians from getting married in California! It was a great victory and amazing note to end my internship on. The Log Cabin Executive Director threw me a going away reception that evening of the trial decision; there were many reasons to celebrate. I will miss greatly my other intern friends, friends I met in DC, the others at Log Cabin, and the one I got close to throughout the summer.

Leaving DC would have been more difficult if I wasn't headed straight for Las Vegas with five of my closest college friends that I hadn't seen in three months. That aspect made leaving my dream DC home a little easier. I packed up my life in my massive two suitcases two large carry-ons and flew across the country for an outstanding party to my working summer.

Vegas was a blast! But what happens in Vegas stays in Vegas...

I am now back in Lawrence and gearing up for the beginning of my senior year and last year at the University of Kansas. I love KU and Lawrence but this is no DC. Although I will miss DC, I have remarkable friends and involvement at the university and am ready to plunge back into my busy Lawrence life with my Senate job, bothers of Delta Lambda Phi, and politics in Kansas. My eyes are forever gazed at DC and the national political arena. I plan to continue my Rainbow Republican blog so please continue to read. I also will be guest blogging for Log Cabin Republicans from time to time as well.

Thank you to all who helped this intern experience astonishing! I am extremely grateful and know I will see you again in DC, around Capitol Hill.

Lesson Learned: You are the author of your own life's story. Write a best selling novel, not a piece of crap!

2 comments:

  1. I miss you so much Alex! I am happy to hear that you had such an amazing summer here, I know I sure did. I hope to see you again and I will definitely be keeping up with your blog posts! Have a good semester and send some Alexisms my way on occasion!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Do us all the favor and stop blogging, stop voting, stop "contributing"- especially when contributing is supporting candidates that would make John Boehner the speaker. PASS!

    ReplyDelete