Sunday, July 11, 2010

Working 9 to 5

Although my social life in DC is picking up and my evenings are excellent, I wanted to share more about my typical work week and the work I do for Log Cabin Republicans.

I wake up in the morning (feeling like P. Diddy) and depending whether of not I had a social evening out on the town the prior night, I go running. Then I shower and watch Good Morning America while ironing my shirt and eating breakfast. I leave for work 40 minutes early to give time for walking and the metro ride. Recently, I've gotten into listening to an audiobook with my ipod on the metro, which helps pass the time of the ride. I begin the work day by tidying my director's desk then checking my many emails. I don't understand the people who email in the evening, there won't be a reply until the next morning. I then proceed to check and delete spam from our Log Cabin email and search for news reports to blog and tweet about for BlogCabin or What Marriage Means blogs and twitters I help to run.

I usually have an on going 'to-do' list on my desk that includes scheduling appointments for my directors and reserving rooms for meetings. Once the mail comes in, I sort the bills and donations, entering them in the computer then making copies. I take the donation checks to our bank and make deposits, often these checks are fairly large. I save our bills in a folder to once a week take to our accountant.

Often I draft letters for donations or inviting guest to our upcoming events and fundraisers. Past letters have been sent to Congress members, Senators, Laura Bush, Cindy McCain, Dick Cheney, Ambassadors, and many others. Finding out who each of these people's schedulers is takes a long time as well. It seems that I share something in common with other schedulers because we always hit it off on the phone or exchange pleasant emails. We must be sharing similar experiences throughout our days.

There is always something else to work on as well including building and up-keeping websites, wikipedia pages, returning phone calls and emails, helping on the logistics of future events, attending meetings, attending congressional briefings on issues in focus, and many other tasks assigned to me.

I do an extensive amount of writing and researching, more then I would have ever imagined. My official title is Staff Assistant, which is very fitting because even though I am an intern, I am blessed with additional responsibilities. Communication is also a significant portion of my daily activities. Written and online communication takes place during my work day and interpersonal and face-to-face communications at evening events networking and spreading the name of Log Cabin.

Working with Log Cabin Republicans has been and still is an amazing experience. It is one that offers challenging tasks to develop and grow skills. To be able to work at a place where I have a passion for the work we do and can see the results is absolutely remarkable. This summer has been one full of issues that strike a passion for gay rights and rebuilding the Republican Party and prove that "Inclusion Wins!" (Log Cabin tag line). I now know the importance of an internship and hands on experience learning. These lessons are ones you simply cannot teach in Bailey or Blake Halls but must instead be learned here in Washington.

Lesson Learned: Multitasking is a blessing when done correctly. Be constantly working but don't forget to follow through to the finish, paying close attention to the details.

1 comment:

  1. I loved your lesson learned - multi-task, see projects through and pay attention to details! You are learning to be an excellent communicator on so many levels! As always, I'm just your "proud ole mum!"

    ReplyDelete