Saturday, July 17, 2010

Victories and Dreams

This week held several monumental decisions for equality. From DC to California to Argentina, gays and lesbians are receiving the same rights as everyone else, and keeping up with all of these updates is my job. Twitter has taken on a whole new meaning for me.

Log Cabin Republicans v. The United States trial challenging the failed 'Don't Ask, Don't Tell' (DADT) military policy that bans gays and lesbians from openly serving in the military began this week with testimony. The case was filed six years ago and is finally being heard in Riverside California. Log Cabin has an amazing team of lawyers from White & Case and moving testimony from national board members to discharged individuals from the military. The trial began on Tuesday and is scheduled through next Thursday. Log Cabin is the only court case challenging the constitutionality of DADT. If this policy is repealed through executive, legislative, or judicial it won't matter, simply getting it repealed is the final goal. The Obama administration is defending the policy even though he is pro-repeal?

Washington DC is also in the news for a court decision announced this week. They ruled to uphold the same-sex marriage law made earlier this year and continue to allow gays and lesbians equal marriage rights as everyone else in the city. I have met several people who have fulfilled their vows after the passage of the law and the other day met a couple who traveled here from Texas just to be able to have an official ceremony, even though their marriage would not be recognized in their home state. (all in good time, with the work of Log Cabin and many other dedicated workers)

A big shout out to all my Latinas! Argentina voted this week to pass a gay marriage in their nation! They are the first Latin American country to allow same-sex marriage, even though the Catholic Church highly opposed the legislation.

Congrats to any of the gays who now have equal rights! It must be nice. One small step in a sequin pump for our community! Enough talk about gays around the world, lets focus on me now!

This week was, as usual, busy and challenging. Congress is back in session after the July 4th recess and that means the entire town is back to its fast pace lifestyle. Phone calls, emails, conferences, briefings, press releases, receptions, OH MY.

I'll expand on my favorite, receptions! This week my director invited me to attend a reception for Rep. Aaron Schock! If you don't know who he is then google image him now and read the rest of this later!
It was a great event and I got my pic with Aaron and talked with him for around 15 minutes with three other gay men, naturally we swarmed him. The event was at my favorite club, the Republican Capitol Hill Club and had food and wine. The Congressman is a very nice guy and I wish him the best of luck on his next election, in office, and coming out.

One of my roommates finished his internship this week and has left for home. He was a great guy to get to know and have political discussions that often lead to debates with. I am just three weeks away to leaving my now comfortable life in DC and flying to Vegas for an exciting weekend with my Lawrence crowd and then back to Kansas for a slower lifestyle, but still just as fun. DC is feeling like home and one day I hope it will be home. I toured what I would like to be my next home, Georgetown Law this week. The law school is located in the heart of DC and I believe it would be an amazing place to attend school. But for that to happen I better focus on the LSAT studying and keep up my hard work efforts. So enough blogging and on to the books.

Lesson Learned: Never discredit any option or disregard any opportunity. Those least expected roads may be the greatest route to take in life.

2 comments:

  1. You do realize Aaron Shock voted against ENDA, doesn't support equal marriage rights, and voted against the DADT repeal, right? I hope you had fun schmoozing around with a bigot. Oh wait, your a Republican- that's every Saturday night.

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't believe you already could call Washington, DC your home. You certainly found your way through a new city, and the world of politics. I guess your tour of law schools went well - I second your comment on hitting the books for the LSAT!

    ReplyDelete