Friday, June 11, 2010

Pride Week

The weeks are flying by! The internship is keeping me busy and I am always on the lookout for ways to increase my social life.

Monday, we met the neighbor girls. My building is like a large house with many individual apartments. Most of the interns have now moved in for the summer and I am slowly meeting each room. Its just like meeting the people on your floor in your college residence hall! The girls across the way were great. They came over and were like "who wants to go grab a drink?" ME! We chatted the night away and had a great time meeting one another. It will be great having friends in the same building.

Tuesday was a major election primary day for several states around the country. It is fascinating the affect the tea partiers and angry voters are having. It is understandable that people are upset with incumbents, but I wish more people understood the political process instead of just grabbing their nearest lawn chair and cooler and go to the park to shout about at the government. I agree that there are some changes needed but with those changes we must realize that we are in a poor economy and a huge budget deficit. You cant spend your way out of a problem.

On Tuesday evening, Christian took me to one of our local chapter meetings. The North Virginia chapter met over dinner and it was cool to see the more grassroots organizing of Log Cabin Republicans.

Wednesday, I volunteered at for a charity auction for Capitol Pride. It was great! The event was held at the Donovan House Hotel and Zen Tan Restaurant. This was the exact restaurant that I ate at with my Student Senate friends when we were up lobbying earlier this year. Small World! The auction was $20 to get in and then had amazing art and signed items from celebrities of Cindy Lauper to Neil Diamond. My job was to entertain guests, get them drunk, and encourage competitive bids. I was outstanding at it. I had a blast. Several influential people were there as well. The first man who started Pride was there and the city official who pushed for gay marriage in DC. I met several other volunteers and after the auction we went to an after party on top of the hotel that over looked downtown DC. Great view and great times....

Thursday, we met more of the neighbors and shared some wine! There is no better way to meet others then sharing a good drink and a smile. We have a large porch on our place, so we are planning on throwing a party soon for the neighbors.

Today we moved the office around and I now have my own office. How many interns get their own office? There was a lot of lifting and sorting, so naturally now I am ready for a drink. The plan is to hit up happy hour with the roommates. I am excited for the weekend with the Pride Parade and the festival. If someone told me I was going to march in a Pride Parade, I would have laughed in their face just a year ago.

Stay Fabulous friends, lawrence, and family. Remember to add culture to your lives this weekend by watching the World Cup. Cheer on our great nation, USA!

Lesson Learned: Embrace new challenges and suck up any discomfort you might have. Be outgoing. The auction started off weird but I am so glad I volunteered and did it.

1 comment:

  1. I love to hear that you are continuing our tradition of volunteering - these early weeks in June would have been our VBS volunteering of course we would have already put in hundreds of planning hours in already! I also love hearing that you are remaining outgoing and continue to meet people - everyone from neighbors to big wheels! Keep smiling and keep that attitude positive - don't be one of those shouting, angry tea-partiers!

    Smiling with you - MOM

    ReplyDelete